T-shirts and F-bombs

Our kids go to a wonderful Japanese pre-school that also happens to be a Christian school. Very few of the teachers can understand English though. So today Keith picked up Claire and Adam from school, and he was met by the after-school care provider, with a beaming smile on her face, and a VERY interesting T-shirt. Her T-shirt was in English, and it said, “F*ck Housework” (but without the asterisk!). Keith was part stunned and part amused, and said nothing. Now had it been me, I probably would have cracked up laughing!!!! This poor woman had NO idea what her shirt said, and she was wearing it around 3-6 year-olds all day long. Brings a whole new perspective to the arbitrary nature of curse words, I suppose. I mean, a Brit’s “bloody” means nothing at all obscene to an American. And an American’s F-bomb is apparently not so offensive to Japanese pre-school instructors. So what say you? What would Jesus do, people? Tattle on this lady or let it go? (My greatest concern is that Claire is now reading!!!!)

P.S. To my dear friend houseworkhater, this situation made me think of you. Can I buy you this t-shirt for your birthday, pretty please?? Oh, you can wear it to your new job!!

This entry was posted in Blog, Lisa's Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to T-shirts and F-bombs

1. Jonathan says:

The first thing you do in a situation like this is have your kids picture taken with the teacher wearing the t-shirt. Then you post the picture on your blog. Then what you do after that is your own business…

I mean come on, not even a camera phone image?

2. Cindy says:

This is exactly why I miss Japan sooo much… I’m homesick all over again… And agree with the previous comment: No picture???!!!

3. Catrina says:

Oh my! I can’t stop cracking up.

4. Brooke says:

Raughing out roud, Risa!!!!!! I remember one of my students, who was about 8 years old, wearing a t-shirt that said, “Go to Hell–jump into the fire,” with a picture of a kid diving into some flames. Claire read it and gasped! What I want to know is, WHO is making these shirts!!! I think you should tell her, or find someone to tell her. I know it is totally against the culture, but she should know. I am thinking NO, maybe I shouldn’t wear that shirt to my new job…the pastor frowns upon open displays of profanity at the office! LOL

5. Allison says:

Gotta have a picture!

6. Michelle says:

Too funny!! Where’s the picture? Of course,then you’d have to tell her because she would want to know why you were taking her picture. I was just remarking the other day how Japanese wear tshirts that are written in English. I’ve yet to see one with Japanese on it!! lol

7. RYO says:

He he.. that is pretty funny. Yeah really, who actually makes those T-shirts?? There’s a guy at my church who wears a T-shirt that says something along the lines of : “I’m a sexy B*stard!”
    Strange, huh? =)

8. Maria :) says:

You are awesome Lis!! Hahaha…I was totally cracking up when I read this…I even read it to Link 🙂 Miss you!! Lots of love…Maria