No Bigger Fish To Fry

I’ve been fighting this for months, and here I am, eve of the election, unable to hold it in any longer. Not that my little opinion will make any bit of difference; but all the same, I feel compelled to put it out there this evening.

I think Barack Obama has some good ideas. I read The Audacity of Hope earlier this year and have listened closely to every word that has come out of his mouth and am honestly impressed by this man’s rise, his eloquence, his political finesse. When he spoke at the Democratic National Convention 4 years ago, I looked at my husband and said, “That man will be President someday.” When I listen to him speak, I feel an unfamiliar tickle of hope that just maybe things could get better for America on certain fronts. I believe him that he will make changes, some of them long overdue, that will better the state of the union. I tend to “like” the guy more than McCain too, for whatever that’s worth. I mean, he’s charming. But then I can’t shake off this recollection that so was a certain snake in a certain garden.  Charming, that is.

And quite honestly, I don’t adore John McCain. He’s just okay for me. I’m not his biggest fan. I did vote for him in the primary, simply because I felt that he was the only one of the candidates who could even possibly prevail against either Clinton or Obama. (There’s the rare pragmatist in me.) I do think that if McCain were elected, the policies of our nation would likely not change too much, the economy may not get the same jumpstart than if Obama is elected, and that environmental issues may not be tackled with as much innovation and gusto as in an Obama administration. So there you have it: my honest concession.

There are some things, however, that I really disagree with Obama about. For example, I think “spreading the wealth” is a terrible idea, even though I’d probably be one of the beneficiaries of that. When you give an extra $1500 to someone in my tax bracket, we don’t usually go stimulate the economy. We get caught up on bills or pay off a little bit of debt. When you give a tax break to the small business owner or the “rich guy,” he takes some business risks, expands his company, hires more people. To me, that’s a no-brainer which one of those is better for our nation’s economy in the long run. I’m honestly concerned that Obama’s “solution” to our economic woes will further stunt the economy. But then I’m admittedly no economist. And our personal financial situation is seemingly stable. But even if it weren’t, I really don’t think I could vote on that issue alone, which seems to me to be what many people are doing.

I also think that Obama’s government-run healthcare idea is a recipe for disaster. There is not a single country in the world with an enviable social healthcare system. Seriously, do the research. Do you know how long transplant patients have to wait for organs in Canada and Switzerland?? Tragic scores of them die before their number pops up on the bureaucratic queue. My husband works for the military and has government-run healthcare anyway. We’re already in that system, and at the bottom of the totem pole because we’re lowly civilians, and trust me, I’d love to go back to a private, competitive-market healthcare facility, but I don’t have that option living overseas.  But again, that issue just doesn’t light a fire in me to swing one way or the other.

But there is an issue from which I cannot escape its burden. I care about a thousand things in this country. I have a thousand-and-one opinions about almost every issue under the sun. But I just can’t vote for a candidate who is pro-choice. I can’t do it. I can’t. I am almost grateful to Barack for being SO unapologetically pro-choice–that makes it at least a little easier on me. But still I have been bothered for months by my own “simplicity” and have earnestly struggled with reconciling myself to the idea that I might be a single issue voter, when it comes down to it.

A respected friend of mine said to me today that he thinks there are just bigger fish to fry in this election than abortion. I almost threw up. You see, that’s the problem. Too many of us, even Christians who know better, try to dehumanize this abortion problem. Make it into just a “policy” or “idea” in our minds. But it’s not just an idea. And it’s certainly not just a fish to fry. We’re talking about defenseless human beings–the very smallest, very most helpless kind. And not to be trite, but really, Dr. Suess’ Horton says it about as well as it can be said: “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”  I just had my 20-week ultrasound the other day, and I can already see that this little guy is full of life and personality. And according to the Word of God (Psalm 139), he is a real person in there, fashioned in the image of God, not just a “fetus.” He has a beautiful beating heart, ten little toes and ten little fingers,  and a soul and a spirit designed to live a life in worship of his Creator. But according to Barack Obama’s ideology, if I suddenly decided I didn’t want to be pregnant anymore, for whatever reason, I should be able to kill this child in my belly, no questions asked, and even by appallingly murderous methods. I’m sorry, but WHY is that not murder? If someone walked in my house right now and shot me as I was typing this ostensibly offensive blog , they would be charged with two murders, not just one, because of the child in my womb. Or if I killed my own child the moment after delivery, I would obviously be charged with infanticide. But if I have an abortion, it’s okay for me to kill my own child? That is infuriatingly unjust and illogical!!!

If we are Christians, then our spiritual citizenship is in Heaven, not in America or even on this planet. Our Christianity MUST trump our patriotism or nationalism if they come into conflict with one another. And in this election, I believe they do come in conflict. I know that many people are struggling financially and see Barack Obama as a way out perhaps, but really, are our finances more important than the sanctity of human life? Is there ANY “political” issue really more important than this one?  Could there possibly be a bigger fish to fry? I say no way.

And how can we Christians do nothing and say nothing as this happens? It’s not right. So there! I’m saying something: “YOPP!” (Another Dr. Suess reference for those of you NOT currently swimming in childrens’ literature.) And WOW, do I feel better.

I take no pleasure in announcing that someday there will be an unimaginably great reckoning for the atrocious injustice done to these millions and millions of defenseless babies.  So let’s speak up, even if that colors us unpopular or uncouth or simple-minded. Please sound your own barbaric YOPP at the polls tomorrow.

This entry was posted in Blog, Lisa's Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to No Bigger Fish To Fry

1. Rachel Smith says:

As the wife of your “respected” friend, I just have to ask myself if Jesus would have ranted on about any issue! No, he would have spoke in love – in which I highly doubt you are. You see there are far to many christians who want to yell and scream and throw big temper tantrums, but not really do anything about it! So, if you are so passionate about this issue, maybe you should find some young girls who are struggling right now with being pregnant and show them some love. Just a little thought.

2. Paula says:

Well, I will admit that I was a little concerned when I started reading this blog. You really know how to scare a girl! Anyway, I am so happy that THE HOLY SPIRIT is alive a well in us. I don’t want to use the word “scared”, but very concerned is a very light word for this election. I put all my trust in God on this one for sure. Thanks for your inspirational comments.

3. Jill Klaiber says:

Lisa, I’m in 100% agreement with everything you’ve written here. I just do not understand how the abortion epidemic is simply another “issue” on the political table. It is murder. How hard is that to understand? I hope, however, that some of Obama’s ideas for changing the culture of America with regard to preventing pregnancies in the first place come to pass (see Democrats for Life). I unfortunately don’t see McCain’s plan anywhere for reducing the number of abortions in America. Maybe I haven’t looked hard enough. I also must add, if we as Christians are pro-life, then do something about it in your daily life. Don’t sit on your hands for four years and then check a box for a pro-life president. Get involved with the Crisis Pregnancy Center ministries or educating teens on the beauty and sanctity of sex in marriage… or any other way you can think of to solve the crisis at its roots. Just like the civil rights movement, we have to defend the rights of the pre-born starting at the grass roots. thanks for sharing. this has been on my heart for a while now too.

4. Margo says:

You’re awesome…don’t know if I have ever exactly used those words to describe you, but seriously…You’re awesome

5. Teri says:

You said it much better than I could have! This election has me concerned. But, thankfully God is in control.

6. Lisa Gray says:

Hi Friend,

There was a time before I was a Christian where I would have been labeled “pro-choice”. Today, as a Christian, I am pro-life. Without a doubt, THE issue for me is Obama’s stance on abortion. I can’t get past the fact that it’s okay with him to kill babies. How can a man who claims to be a Christian be okay with committing such a sin?

Thank you for this blog and the subsequent comments, because it made me get out my Bible and review some of these issues…

I am no theologian, but Jesus did rant over an issue that was near and dear to His heart – when people were misusing God’s house of worship. (Mark 11:15-18, John 2:12-22, Matthew 2:12-13, & Luke 19:45-48). Also consider 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 which states that our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit. So, I believe that in today’s world Jesus would react in righteous anger to abortion.

When I looked up abortion in my study Bible, it cited 2 Chronicles 28:3 as an Old Testament parallel – referring to the practice of sacrificing children. Know that God allowed that nation to be conquered due to Ahaz’s evil practices. Here’s a comment from the notes in my Bible that took my breath away: “Even today the practice hasn’t abated. The sacrifice to the harsh gods of convenience, economy and whim continues in sterile medical facilities in numbers that would astound the wicked Ahaz. If we are to allow children to come to Christ, we must first allow them to come into the world”.

Lisa – I LOVE you sister! I thank God for you, your love, and your friendship. You are an amazing woman of God that oozes His love all over the place.

7. Judy says:

Lisa,
    I loved your blog. You were thoughtful – I do think Jesus ranted (remember him overturning the money changers tables in the temple!) and gave each candidate their due. I also feel certain that you have (or will) reach out to any young woman who finds herself in a crisis pregnancy – I personally gave all our baby stuff to a crisis pregnancy center and strongly support their efforts. While McCain’s platform may not directly address his pro-life efforts his running mate, Palin, is walking this walk daily.
    In addition there are many other issues that troubling about the Dems in this election beyond the abortion issue but this isn’t the place for that! I know God is in control!
    Blessings to you and your family!
    Judy

8. Hannah says:

I will agree with the awesome comment. You are AWESOME. You are vocalizing what so many of us have felt throughout the entire campaign process. The sanctity of life is a BIG deal. In fact, as our pastor said Sunday, it’s in God’s “Top Ten”…”Thou shalt not kill.” The thing about people not thinking it’s a big deal is preposterous. Many forget that whoever is elected president will potentially appoint two new justices to the Supreme Court. Anywho, you rock. Enough said.

9. Starr says:

I’m not as angered as you are at Christians who are voting for Obama; I believe there are some people who sincerely believe that a vote for Obama, despite his pro-choice stance, is ultimately a vote for less abortions happening. I think, sadly, there is probably some truth to the sentiment that Roe V. Wade will never be overturned. That in our depraved world, the “right” to an abortion is a sick reality that is not going to change. And it’s true that the democratic party is the only party that seems to state as a part of it’s platform that they would like to see the number of abortions reduced. Republicans just say “We are pro-life”…and then, it seems, do nothing more; to make adoptions easier or to help with the medical expense of having and baby or the cost of raising one. It’s also true (if what I’ve read is accurate), that the number of abortions decreased dramatically under the Clinton administration when the economy was good. I understand that some people are willing to vote with someone who dramatically disagrees with their ideology (that abortion is a “choice” instead of murder) if it means ultimately more lives are saved. The number of babies losing their lives is all that matters to them, and they’ve given up on that happening through the courts or through laws. They instead think it has to happen at the individual choice of each woman.

I have decided I can not vote for someone who disagrees with my ideology – I just can’t. I can’t cast a vote for a man who thinks it’s an acceptable choice to kill a baby. However, I do wonder if in my taking a stand against his pro-choice stance, am I ultimately going to see more abortions happen?

So…I’m voting for McCain. But I’m still losing sleep wondering if the state of the economy…lack of health care…and the financial strain of raising a child (none of which are historically addressed by Republicans) will drive more women to have abortions.

It’s a tough, tough problem. But I think there are people who are sincerely pro-life, and are voting for Obama.

10. In all fairness, I want to post a link to an article that my best friend Starr sent me:

This is really good stuff, arguing from an angle I hadn’t considered yet honestly.

11. Mike says:

I think the article above describes my sentiments exactly. Just a lot more eloquently that my bigger fish to fry comment that inspired this discussion.

12. Kevin says:

The economy, healthcare, taxes, etc…are all worldly and material. The issue of life has to do with a gift from God. That’s one of the reasons why it’s such am important issue for me to consider when voting. I’m sorry but I disagree with Nicholas Cafardi when saying that Obama will work to lower abortions, he’s had many chances.

Here is Obama’s record on abortion:

Barack Obama has not demonstrated that he believes in the sanctity of life.

My prayer is that as many people in this nation try and ‘push’ off God’s hands that He will just grip tighter!

We will get a new President but Jesus Christ is in charge.

I have many other things to I’d like to say but have to go…

13. Lisa here again. I have to keep it real here. After reading Starr’s post and the Catholic dude’s article, and sleeping (and NOT sleeping!) on it, I’m just wondering though–what ABOUT this idea of reducing abortions not from the top down (as in from the letter of the law, which admittedly, will never happen in the U.S. because even IF Roe v. Wade got overturned, the decision would go to the States and plenty of States would allow abortion still)? It IS statistically true that the abortion rates were reduced drastically under the Clinton administration. Any fairminded pro-lifer must begrudgingly concede to that fact that Democrats pay more attention to the poor and disenfranchised. I mean, IF our hope is to reduce abortions, to save babies, PERHAPS an informed, Machiavellian vote for Obama isn’t the worst thing in the world. I’m just thinking out loud here. I’m not done thinking.

14. Mike says:

Lisa, I love the way your brain thinks. I am hoping you are at least realizing that my decision to vote for Obama is not as simplistic as once thought. The “Catholic Dudes” article was enlightening to me as well. Gives me some self validation lol. I posted my thoughts..sometimes light hearted and sometimes testing the waters so I was asking for the feedback good or bad…I realize that now, its just that some people shocked me with their comments and some of the crude messages I received. I deleted some of them because I was embarassed that some of them were from people (Christians) that I go to church with. Thanks for starting this discussion!!

15. Debra Thomas says:

Lisa,
    I am deeply saddened by the election results. I agree with you that we must remember that we are all citizens of Heaven–no matter our color.

I, too, see the charm in Obama and it actually breeds contempt in me toward his philosphies on the “policies” of abortion, same-sex marriage, etc.

I keep going through it in my mind and the only thing I can come up with as to why God has allowed this man with ideologies that are contrary to the Word to be elected is because He is going to give the people just what they want. He did this in 1 Sam. when the people wanted a king instead of Him.

I firmly believe that God is going to judge our nation if we do not have a revival that starts from our house(s) to the White House. I pray for President-elect Obama to bow his knee to the soul-saving, life-changing power of the Blood of the Lamb.